2015 A very bookish Christmas Bookish Recipes Food inspired by books Recipes
Bookish Recipe: Daisy's Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Welcome to Bookish Recipes, a feature on the blog where I cook or bake a recipe from a book I have loved and share the result with you. This week's recipe is inspired by the book How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake. I absolutely loved this one. It is one of the best festive books I've read in a while and it's full of laughters, food, romance and crazy geese, what else can you ask for?
In the book, Eve is a total disaster in the kitchen so she has to relay on her best friend, Daisy, to cook for her. Daisy makes this delicious chocolate biscuit cake and when I saw that Rosie had added the recipe for it, I decided to try it myself as it sounded so yummy!
1) Melt the dark chocolate, syrup and butter in a a glass bowl on top of boiling water. When it's smooth, take it off the heat.
2) Break up the digestive biscuits (here Rosie suggests to put them in a carrier bag and use a rolling pin to bash them, I tried without the carrier bag and it was not a good idea... but well it worked).
3) Add the biscuits to the mixture and put o a baking tray. Let it rest on the fridge.
4) Once it's set, melt the white chocolate and pour it on top of the mixture. Then add the decorations, Rosie suggests Maltesers, but in the supermarket I went, they didn't have any. So I opted for smarties.
5) Put back in the fridge to set. Before serving it, take it out the fridge for a while. Otherwise, it'll be difficult to cut it (true fact) and enjoy!
It's a really sweet cake. My nieces (and I) loved it! Thanks Rosie for sharing this fab recipe!
About the book:
Published: November 5th 2015 by Corvus
Amazon | Amazon UK
Blurb: 'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone...
Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen.
But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
A hilarious and heart-warming novel about Christmas, catastrophes and cooking, containing exclusive Christmas recipes, from the talented Rosie Blake.