2015 Alice in Wonderland Cupcakes Bookish Recipes Food inspired by books Recipes
Bookish Recipe: Red Velvet Alice in Wonderland Cupcakes
Welcome to Bookish Recipes, a feature on the blog where I cook or bake a recipe from a book I have loved and share the result with you. Today, my inspiration comes from one of my favourite children books: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I love red velvet cupcakes and I had been meaning to bake some for my mum because she hadn't tried them. So I decided to make them a bit more fun with these cute wrappers from Alice and the white bunny I found on Pinterest and some Eat Me tags.
To make them, I adapted a bit a recipe from Objetivo Cupcake. Here is what you need to make 8 cupcakes:
- 55g butter
- 150g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1/4 tsp of Red Food Colouring Paste (I used Wilton Christmas Red Food Colouring)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk so I took 120ml of milk and added a tsp of lemon juice and after 5 minutes I added it to the mix)
- 150g flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
1) Preheat oven 170º. In a bowl beat together the sugar and the butter. Then add the egg and the vanilla extract.
2) Add half of the flour (previously seized together with the cocoa and baking powder). Mix and add the buttermilk. Add the rest of the flour.
3) Add the food colouring paste (add more if you want it even more red) and divide the mixture in 8 cupcake moulds.
4) Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. While they are in the oven you can print all the wrappers you need and cut them.
For the frosting I went for Cream Cheese Icing. This is what you'll need:
- 125g cold cream cheese
- 60g butter (room temperature)
- 300g icing sugar
Beat together the butter with the icing sugar and once it has the texture desired, add the cream cheese and mix well.
Needless to say, the cupcakes were a roaring success. My mum is a new Red Velvet fan!